Contact me for more information on how I can save you time and money!

Email me to learn more about the benefits of hiring a Virtual Assistant. Services I provide include writing, editing, proofreading, e-Newsletters, procedure manuals, desktop publishing, PowerPoint presentations, digital photo presentations/DVD creations, technology training, event planning, and basic organization and administrative support.

I can also provide you with one-of-a-kind gift baskets, hand-crafted cards, and hand-crafted gift items. These are the perfect way to let your clients know how important they are to your business, or to promote your business with prospective clients.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Shortcuts - Introduction

Main Entry: 1short·cut
Pronunciation: 'short-"k&t also -'k&t
Function: noun
1 : a route more direct than the one ordinarily taken
2 : a method or means of doing something more directly and quickly than and often not so thoroughly as by ordinary procedure (shortcut to success)

(definition from Merriam-Webster Online)

While there are times when shortcuts are counterproductive (like a shortcut to success, as mentioned in the definition above), I absolutely adore shortcuts that promote efficiency. Anything that can help me get more done in a shorter amount of time is an incredible benefit, especially when you consider that time = money. With that in mind, I am starting a regular "column" on shortcuts. I plan to focus mostly on computer shortcuts but will throw in other types of time savers here and there.

The first shortcut is one that I learned about two years ago and now use all the time. I used it once while working on something for my husband and he looked at me like I had performed magic! (I promise you don't have to say any magic words in order for this to work.)

Shortcut:
Alt+Tab

Function:
When you have more than one program/application running on your computer this key combination will allow you to scroll through each screen. The best way to understand how it works is to do it, so...

1. You already have one program running, because you are reading this blog. Open up two or three more programs or files.
2. While holding down the "Alt" key (located on either side of the spacebar) press the tab key once. A little screen will pop up with icons representing all of the different programs you currently have open.
3. By continually pressing the Tab key you can scroll through each program open on your computer. When you land on the program you want to see, simply release both the Alt and Tab keys.

Magic! :-)

No comments: